Whether you’re flying across the globe to lay on a pristine beach in Bali or taking a day trip to go leaf-peeping nearby, your friends and family are bound to follow along on your exciting adventures. These days, as you head out the door with your luggage in tow, people will often tell you to “have fun” and “post on IG!” in the same breath. (What happened to the days of “We’ll miss you dearly,” right?) Once you’re there, you might have a bounty of breathtaking photos to post but find yourself at a loss for words when it comes to the perfect Instagram captions to go along with them.
Don’t waste a moment of hard-earned vacation time hemming and hawing over a sentence or two to highlight those gorgeous snaps. We put together this list of cute, silly, funny and inspirational travel Instagram captions for those times when you don’t have the patience or energy to come up with something on your own. Some of them are even quotes from our favorite celebrities, since sometimes, someone else just says it better. Pick one for now, save some for later and focus on enjoying your trip.
If you need to get more specific (or you’ve posted so many times that you’ve exhausted this list), we also have beach inspired ideas, quotes about traveling with your bestie and sayings for when you get you back in touch with nature.
Best Travel Captions
- I’ve found my happy place.
- What’s on my bucket list? Everywhere.
- Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
- Always say yes to new adventures.
- Life is short and the world is wide. Better get started.
- My new routine: Journey. Explore. Discover. Repeat.
- Only going places that spark joy.
- Keep calm and travel on.
- Will travel for food (and a good sunset).
- The best things happen outside of our comfort zones.
- Constantly searching for views that take my breath away.
- I feel most at home when I’m exploring the world.
- Until you step into the unknown, you don’t know what you’re made of.
- Life is not meant to be lived in one place.
Funny Travel Captions
- I follow my heart … and it usually leads me to the airport.
- Greetings from [insert location]. I live here now.
- I travel so my life isn’t disrupted by routine.
- Maybe you can’t buy happiness, but you can buy plane tickets (and that’s kind of the same thing).
- Skipping ahead to the part of my life where I travel the world.
- Tan lines and jetlag fade, but memories last forever.
- I’m a travel addict on the road to recovery. Just kidding, I’m headed to the airport.
- All I need is a 3-month vacation four times a year. That’s really not asking for much.
- BBN: Be back never.
Travel Quote Captions
- “I am one of those who never knows the direction of my journey until I have almost arrived.” —Anna Louise Strong
- “Not all those who wander are lost.” —J.R.R. Tolkien
- “We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.” —Anaïs Nin
- “An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered.” —G.K. Chesterton
- “Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.” —Margaret Lee Runbeck
- “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” —Lao Tzu
- “To travel is worth any cost or sacrifice.” —Elizabeth Gilbert
- “One’s destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things.” —Henry Miller
- “Surely, of all the wonders of the world, the horizon is the greatest.” —Freya Stark
- “Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us, or we find it not.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” —Robert Louis Stevenson
- “This is what holidays, travels, vacations are about. It is not really rest or even leisure we chase. We strain to renew our capacity to wonder, to shock ourselves into astonishment once again.” —Shana Alexander
As the deputy editor of Woman’s Day, Andra (she/her) oversees all print content for the brand. She is a former editor at Good Housekeeping, Redbook, Real Simple and People. Over the course of her 13 year career, she’s covered every inch of the lifestyle space, and has interviewed hundreds of experts on topics including but not limited to relationships, etiquette, personal finance, technology, organization, travel, fashion, beauty, and sustainability. (She’s also interviewed a few celebrities, ask her for Kim Kardashian’s eBay shopping secrets.) During her off hours, Andra enjoys Thai dramas and long walks down the snack aisle.
Lizz (she/her) is a senior editor at Good Housekeeping, where she runs the GH Book Club, edits essays and long-form features and writes about pets, books and lifestyle topics. A journalist for almost two decades, she is the author of Biography of a Body and Buffalo Steel. She also teaches journalism as an adjunct professor at New York University’s School of Professional Studies and creative nonfiction at the Muse Writing Center, and coaches with the New York Writing Room.